So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Whew!

It is so hot! I think I'm melting!
We have had a most unusual heat wave for this part of the world - generally we'll get the odd day in the summer time that reaches 30 C. This year we have had a couple of weeks of it. Yesterday was setting all kinds of new high temperatures through out the province. It was 37C on our home thermometer, and today its up to 35C (95F) again! Beautiful sunny skies, but unfortunately, its too hot for this camper to be out in it, so I've been staying in the basement with the AC on. I feel sorry for our roofers, though. This heat means that they can only work short days - the shingles are getting so hot they are getting too soft, and can be damaged as they are being installed. That means that they are done by about 11 a.m each day, and the job is taking way longer than anticipated.
I am managing to get out and get the garden watered in the evenings, so its not doing too badly. I have been able to do is to get some sewing done. The Irish dance dress I'm working on is coming along. I've had to do a few revisions along the way, and completely re-did the skirt today, but I'm happy with it now.
Here's what it looks like with the skirt pinned to the bodice.
I need to re-distribute the pleats some, and then I'll be able to attach it.
I had to do some math to get everything to line up the way I wanted, and then lots of stitch outs for all the embroidered parts. I work from a sketch of the design, so there is always some adjusting going on as I try to make the design work!
It doesn't show in these pictures, but the white fabric has a holographic design on it that really catches the light well. These dresses can be really over the top - bright (gaudy??) colours, tons of sequins and bling - all with the thought of catching the judges attention. Funny, I thought it was supposed to be about the dancing, not the dresses, but you make what sells! I try to keep mine more on the conservative side, and always try to incorporate some kind of knot work design somewhere. Hopefully, I'll have this one finished up in the next few days so I can get some quilting done for a few days before starting on the next one.
What are you working on?




No comments: