So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

March FMQ Challenge

Well, I left it to the last minute (see my last post!), and finally yesterday I started on my SewCalGal FMQ Challenge piece for March.  I was at a bit of a loss as to what direction to take until I read this blog yesterday.  Pat had stitched up an amazing design and then painted it. I was inspired!  After re-reading Ann Fahl's tutorial, our amazing March expert, I realized the object of the month was to practice, naturally, but to also try something new, and then I was going to use her fill designs to complete the piece.
I started with this as my inspiration
Sandwiched some navy blue fabric and batting, and started stitching.
"tole" quilting
March FMQ
end of the bobbin
Unfortunately, I ran out of bobbin thread and time, and since I'm at a workshop all day to day, I probably won't get any further with this today, and tomorrow is April, and time for a new challenge.  I do want to finish this one up, as so far, I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I may or may not follow Pat's lead and add some paint!


Maderia Rayon Embroidery thread on top, Aurifil 50w in the bobbin, Warm and Natural batting


Happy quilting!

10 comments:

Michelle C said...

This quilting is gorgeous!

I wanted to say "Hi, nice to meet you." I found your blog through the Needle and Thread Network, and I became your 150th follower. I love a good Canadian blog. Keep up the good work.

Beth said...

You must finish that March piece. It is looking amazing. I had planned to do the practice each month. So far. Zero, nada, zilch, none. (Hanging head in shame)

Anonymous said...

Wow, stunning work! Love your FMQ Challenge piece-surely you will finish it?!

Renate said...

You call this practice? Guess I better rev up the machine and try to practice. This piece is stunning and oh yes please do finish it!!

Lisa said...

wow Janet, that is gorgeous quilting! Do you have a long arm!? Hope to see more!

dutchcomfort said...

ohhh I wish I lived closer, so you could teach me a bit of your encredible quilting! Practice he? It‘s April’s Fool Day Janet!!

Carla said...

This quilting is stunning! Awesome work

felicity said...

whoa. gorgeous!

Vicki Miller said...

What gorgeous quilting and what a perfect interpretation of the folk art design! You know me, I would probably paint, because that is what I do, but I don't think I could bear to do anything to your perfect quilting!

Gina said...

Gorgeous quilting!