So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Secret Santa

We had a really fun swap at VMQG - at the November meeting, those that wanted to participate brought in a little sandwich bag of scraps, with their name hidden inside.  You then got to choose a bag and then make something for the person using their scraps.  The idea was that it be something that didn't take you too long to make,.  They would be brought back at the December meeting and given back to their owners.  I, unfortunately, missed the December meeting, but I had a friend who acted as my delivery service.  (Thanks Terry!)  We met today for coffee, and she brought me my Secret Santa gift.
I was lucky enough to have Felicity, the very same Felicity of Felicity Quilts and Friday Felicities as my secret Santa.  In fact, Felicity was the master mind behind the swap as well!  She took my bag of scrappy bits and made me this gorgeous little pouch, putting all kinds of my bits and pieces to great use - in fact, I think all she needed to add was the zipper!  Inside and out was all created from my scraps - I love it!
scrap swap

Secret Santa pouch

Back

inside

And of course, I got to play secret Santa for someone else.  I picked Kenzie's bag of these gorgeous rainbow batiks.  I've admired Krista of Spotted Stone Studio's marvelous "Everything's Coming Up Rainbows"  for quite awhile, and it was my inspiration for my Fractured Rainbows
scraps
Beautiful Rainbow batiks - I used a single 6" square from each

Fractured Rainbows 2
I used up some scrappy pieces of blacks I had and some thrifted white sateen

Fractured Rainbows
Some ditch stitching and straight line quilting at odd angles and I was done.  It finished at about 34" square - maybe a little bigger than the intent of the swap, but I had fun, and really enjoyed making it, and start to finish it only took about 6 hours, so I'm okay with that!

To see some pictures of all the wonderful items that were created, check out the VMQG December meeting recap.

And even though I'm a little bit late, I'm adding this to "Friday Felicity's" because what could be better than friends giving and sharing?

Happy quilting!

4 comments:

felicity said...

Indeed, there is nothing better than friends sharing their scraps and imagination with each other! I admit I was stumped at first by your bag of scraps, Janet, but when I figured out what I wanted to do, it all came together. Thanks for linking up to Friday Felicities! :)

Helen in the UK said...

Super pouch - no one would possibly guess this was made from scraps! Happy holiday season :)

Maggi said...

Your pouch is lovely and you made that wall hanging so quickly. What a wonderful array of gifts and all so different.

Vicki Miller said...

what a lovely gift you got and I'm green with envy for the person getting the quilt - wow!