So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival - Modern - A Vancouver Winter

spring 2015 BQF Button

This is my second entry this spring, to see my other entry, click here.

This entry is in the Modern category.  As a member of the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild, I get to participate in our Block Lottos at our monthly meetings.  A few years back, our challenge was to use a bit of Kona Curry with any blacks and greys we had in our stash, and create an improv pieced block.  At the meetings, everyone who makes a block is entered into a draw to receive all or some of the blocks.  I was a lucky winner!  Unfortunately, due to other demands, these blocks sat for a year or two until I finally pulled them out while on a retreat.  I just wasn't getting them to work the way they were, so seeing as it was all about improv, I just sliced into them and shuffled them around until I was happy with the layout and then started filling in the spaces with more black and grey.  This worked for me!
Once I had the top pieced, it was an easy decision to quilt some concentric circles and straight lines.  This quilt is a lot like Vancouver in the winter - here in Vancouver, winter can be pretty grey, with a lot of rain, but every now and then we get a fabulous sunny day.  The quilting is reminiscent of the rain and puddles, but the yellow gives me a ray of sunshine to know that summer is on its way!
Grey and Yellow003
Grey and Yellow002
Grey and Yellow009
 
A Vancouver Winter
A Vancouver Winter

Check out more of the Spring 2015 Bloggers Quilt Festival entries here

Happy quilting!
Janet

11 comments:

purduepam said...

Winning blocks from the quilting group is so rewarding. I also won some blocks and like you did some block surgery to make them fit my style. Your resulting quilt is truly a one of a kind and can never be duplicated.
I

Leanne said...

It is a beautiful quilt, I love how the quilting adds another layer of beauty.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Ooh, love that idea of a Block lotto for improv blocks. You did a great job with them, Janet and that quilting is fabulous!

Renate said...

What a wonderful way to portray the weather of my old home town. You get my vote!

Anonymous said...

This is stunning! I love it and the quilting is perfect for the top. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Love the combination of quilted straight lines and circles. It works so well with the blocks. I am very impressed with your circles! I can never keep them even lol.

Gina said...

I love your quilt and its perfect title!

Denise Bongiovanni~ said...

I love your quilting on this one. The random yellow is perfect to perk up the gray and black. You are right, a nice reminder there's bright spots in every day if you look for them!!

Nini~

Maggi said...

A lovely quilt and I really like the way that the circles complement the straight lines of the piecing.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

You did a great job with a bunch of improv blocks. Taking the chance of slicing and dicing really paid off. Nicely done.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!! ♡