So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Friday, February 26, 2016

It's been awhile

How have you been?  I hope you're well and have been more creative then me!  I have been missing for a while.  Hopefully I won't be quite so absent now.   Work-work got crazy busy last fall and it has taken until now for me to get my sew-jo back again. It is slow going, and I'm gradually working my way back into things, but I am definitely feeling more creative, and hope to get back into full swing.
I have been working on a few things, but I guess my lack of sew-jo has extended to a lack of photos, too!
Here's a glimpse at what I've been working on.
I have made a couple of baby quilts, donated to the local NICU via the Blue Mountain Quilters Guild - we were challenged to make a quilt with animals on them to be displayed at our AGM at the beginning of February.  Here's the one I started with:
Ella the elephant likes flowers
Ella the elephant likes flowers

Ella
the elephant design is taken from the backing fabric used, sorry no picture of it 

elephant baby quilt detail
a few free motion flowers in the corners

In going through my stash to make the first one I came across this fabric that demanded to be fussy cut to highlight the owl.  Combined with some leftover charm squares, and a bit of yardage, I had a quick and easy little quilt, which I had fun quilting using some long arm rulers on my domestic machine.  Look - I didn't quilt it to death!

Owl baby quilt


Last October my third grandchild was born - another sweet little girl.  Last year for Valentine's Day I made the first two heart pillows from Grandma, (here and here) so this February I had to make another.  Here's Naomi's pillow:

Naomi's pillow

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to participate in a two day work shop organized by my friend Krista, (aka Poppyprint Creates ) with Lorena Uriarte on her gorgeous Opal Essence quilt.  What a fun weekend we had!  I am quite enjoying this process - and I am even doing some hand applique with it!  This was my progress last weekend - I've now got another 6 blocks done - only another 46 to go if I make it full size!

opalessence progress
I love the 3D affect of these blocks

Things are looking up - I'm starting to get more ideas than I have time to make - which is a good thing!  Hopefully I'll be back soon with another update!

Happy quilting! Janet

8 comments:

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

I have been the same way over the past 6 months and am enjoying my return as well. I really like the projects that you are working on especially your tumbling blocks. I am sure you have been having a wonderful time with your new family addition. Congratulations!

Barb Neiwert said...

Sometimes life just gets in the way of quilting, it seems. I love your sweetheart pillows for your granddaughter - how special! Glad to see you're in the grove again and look forward to seeing more good quiltiness!

Peggy said...

Glad to see you back! And congrats on your new grandchild - we're expecting another one this month, and then we'll have 1 girl and 2 boys. Love the elephant quilt! And the rest too

Maggi said...

It's good to have you back. I really like the colours in the owl quilt.

Linda said...

Glad you got your sew-jo back. Great projects, especially the tumbling blocks.

Renate said...

Well, well well! Good to see you back in the swing of it. Now I've got to get back into it too. Right after my visit to BMQG! LOL!

Elizabeth said...

I'm a newbie here and my "up-and-down" creative life is now "up" after reading your blog. I do get quite a lot done, but I can lose momentum, so I like the sew-jo image.

Elizabeth said...

I'm a newbie here, full of enthusiasm one day and down in the dumps the next. I loved the "sew-jo" image and may embroider it on something. Even a coffee-cup coaster!