So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The quilting that never ends

I've been home from work for  a few days - nasty cold that I didn't want to share - and have been puttering away at a few quilty things.  My quilts are going to be showcased at the Blue Mountain Quilters Guild quilt show - Quilt Fever, coming up in October, and I'm trying to sort out what to put in the show.  They'd like to see a "from where I started to where I am now" kind of display, which means I'm sorting through some of my older quilts and checking for labels and hanging sleeves, and working at adding those.  I was/am not very good at labeling my quilts - I had to go into mass production mode, and now I'm slowly getting them stitched on!  Same with hanging sleeves.  My fingers are getting sore from all that hand-stitching!

I've also been working on some exchange blocks and still working on the challenge quilt for the show, but no pictures of those.  Also no pictures of the quilt designs that are in the works - boy, I need more hours in the day.

Today, for a change of pace, I pulled out my Pineapple Blossom quilt which has been sadly neglected for most of the summer. Yikes!  Looks like I last worked on it in March.  It won't get done that way.

It is going to be awhile before it is done - there is a lot of dot-to-dot involved, and it is a big quilt, being pushed through a not so big sewing machine harp. but if I commit to just tackling it a bit at a time, it will get done!  I'm using a combination of ruler work and freemotion stitching to do the geese - all ruler is tough with this much quilt.


Once I finish the dot-to-dot I need to decide on whether there will be any fill around them   The photo below shows that I've echoed the dot to dot sections, but I'm trying to decide if I need a fill between them and the diamond shapes.  What do you think?  Any ideas for me?  I'm thinking I do, just to flatten them down some, but I want to keep the quilt soft, too, as this one is going to be used.


I'd love to hear what you think!

Happy quilting!
Janet

6 comments:

PatchworkPottery said...

I hope you feel better soon, Janet!

A showcase?! How cool is that! I could pop by to help sew labels & sleeves onto your quilts since I live in the neighbourhood! Let me know! I already think I caught something a couple days ago so no problem there!

I can tell your Pineapple Blossom quilt is going to be stunning! Your quilting is always amazing! You could add 1 more line of quilting on each side echoing the triangles... to cut the space in half. Maybe even a small leaf shape in each with the tips touching the curved double line? I know you won't be happy until that space is filled!

Hugs, Laurraine

Ioleen said...

Hope you get over that cold quickly. Love the colour in your pineapple quilt. It's going to be stunning when finished.

KaHolly said...

I'm working on a scrappy Pineapple Blossom right now, and I'm stumped as to how to quilt it. Have had a lot of false starts. I'd love to see more pictures of yours. I only want to quilt the blossoms. I want the background to pop, as it is a signature quilt.

Ariane said...

Wow! Your quilting is beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Sewing Up A Storm said...

So sorry you are sick. The showcase sounds wonderful and I bet you have lots of fun doing it. The quilt you are working on looks great........just keep at it a little at a time and you will get there.

Arita said...

Get better and looking forward to seeing ur showcase.