The sun is shining here today! I've been having a very productive weekend, although no finished projects to show for it just yet. I've been busy making backings for a couple of quilts - the Wonky Blocks workshop quilt and my Round Robin quilt both now have backings, and batting cut, ready to be sandwiched. I've been giving some thought as to how I'm going to quilt the round robin - I want it to be something special, to go along with all the wonderful work of the group.
I've put together the backing and have sandwiched the table runner I made for a mentors workshop a few months back.
and have thrown together a little baby quilt, and have got it sandwiched and already to go. This one used up some stray charm squares I had lying about.
I've also put together another small quilt - it was made from a sample block which didn't turn out quite the way I envisioned! Oh well, I'll just have fun warming up and practicing my quilting on it.
Why so much backing activity? Next weekend I'm off for a quilting retreat and I like to have a variety of things to work on, including some quilting projects. While I won't be taking the larger quilts - there just isn't the space, having a couple of smaller ones with me gives me a nice change from piecing. I also want to try out Don Linn's technique (the April Expert for the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge) for transferring quilting designs, and I think the runner is the perfect project to try that on. Plus, I'm to do a brief talk on my machine binding method at the next VMQG meeting and I wanted to do up some samples - most of my work gets given away so I need a few things to show.
In order to have a piecing project at the retreat, I tried a sample block, using Bonnie Hunter's tutorial for a Pineapple Blossom block, and am happy with how it turned out,
so have cut all my strips and squares that I'll need to piece the top. That took a while, but finally I'm using the black and white stash that I've been accumulating!
And because I can't have just one project to work on, I've thrown in some jelly rolls with the thought of trying this quilt that Tia (Campfollower Bags and Quilts) wrote a tutorial for.
And, a la Bonnie Hunter, I've got my Leaders and Enders project which is coming along quite well!
This currently is 16 - 16 patch blocks. My intent is to end up with a 5x5 setting of the 16 patch blocks, and I'm very close to that now - a bit more progress was made since the picture was taken as I put together my sample block, above. It's nice to be able to work on two projects at once, and to reduce my scrap bin! As this one is getting near to completion, I'll have to see what comes next out of my scraps - I'm thinking a string quilt or spiderweb - that will require a bit of prep work for the templates, but I've wanted to do one for awhile.
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!