This summer when we were on vacation in Fredericton, NB, we went to a Bard in the Barracks performance and saw The Tempest in a fabulous format. Outdoors, in a forest, in a park. Instead of the scene changing in front of us, we were directed to move to different areas of the park for the different acts. It was a fabulous evening and one I will remember for some time.
What does that have to do with quilting? Not much, I reckon, except in my traditional guild, the Blue Mountain Quilters Guild (as opposed to the Vancouver Modern Guild) we had a summer challenge. The challenge being that we were given a paint chip. The difference from most paint chip challenges was that the colour of the paint chip wasn't the inspiration - you had to use the name of the colour as the name of your quilted piece. The paint chip I received was The Tempest.
I considered making something to do with Shakespeare's Tempest, but in the end decided on a quilt pattern I have wanted to make for a very long time - a Storm at Sea. In fact, I even had a quilt kit that I had purchased from Connecting Threads many years ago - it has been sitting in my stash for awhile, but would definitely fit the bill for this challenge. And, it was a small kit which meant that because I had left it late to start, I might still be able to get it finished on time!
|SID in the middle, curved crosshatching ruler work and FMQ in the border|
Originally it was going to be pretty simply quilted, which the middle, in fact, is. But as usual, that didn't last! I had picked up a curved quilting ruler sometime ago and decided that these borders were the perfect opportunity for me to practise with it on my domestic machine.
|close up of ruler work|
Once I got into the swing of it, it worked out quite well! Some easy curves to finish off, and the challenge was done in time for the October meeting, and I can strike a Storm at Sea of my bucket list!