So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Friday, May 23, 2014

Another week gone

I really do not know where they are going!
Before I get distracted, I need to remind you to go vote for your favourite quilts over at the Bloggers Quilt Festival site - a whole lot of tough decisions to be made!

A few weeks back, right after I got back from my guild retreat, I said I'd started a couple more WIPs while I was away, and would show pictures in a different post.  Finally, here they are.
The first is made from a Junior Jelly roll (only 20 strips), which I picked up on my way to the retreat, which is the perfect size to make a quick baby quilt.  I simply stitched them side by each as they came off the roll, and then sliced a section out and turned it.  Next time, I'll get the proportions better on that slice!  It is still waiting for me to quilt it, even though I got it all sandwiched at the retreat.
Topsy turvy

The second one started with a remnant I picked up at my LQS - aren't these birds cute?  I had the browns in my stash.  A bit of cutting and 4 seams later I have a quilt top.  I did spend sometime at the retreat quilting it - trying out a woodgrain look.  It needs a lot of work - way too knotty! but it does give lots of texture!


The quilting is nearly finished, but hasn't been touched since the retreat, so another one on the WIP pile!

I also started a triangle quilt, but I didn't progress far enough to take any pictures, and it also has not been touched.

So with these three new projects, plus my long list of long standing UFOs, I really have enough to keep me busy for quite sometime, you'd think, right?

For some reason, I seem to think I need something more to do!
I had the opportunity to go to a quilt shop I don't get to very often a few weeks ago and they had the cutest fabric that I'm thinking a little boy would love.  Its got race-cars and planes and rockets, and is in one of my fave colour combos.  A very quick and easy quilt using 6 FQ and a couple of squares from my stash.  It is sandwiched and ready to be quilted.


Today one of my quilty friends was helping another quilter de-stash.  That is a dangerous way to start the day!
I came home with a pile of books, some new fabric to add to the stash, and a number of orphan blocks that I figure I can finish up and make into something for our guild's boutique at our quilt show in October.  I spent a good part of today rummaging through my stash to make backings for these
this one had fabric for borders, but I'm just going to leave it the way it is and give a quick flowery quilt job - its about 39" square

these were 4 separate blocks, but I sewed them together - will make a good table topper, I think! 30" sq
 These next three are all about 26" square and will be turned into table toppers or small wall quilts.



Thanks Brenda - I had a lot of fun this morning!  now to actually get some quilting done!

Still on my list to get done, besides all the quilting, is a tutorial on an easy piped binding method, and a more detailed look at using rulers in my quilting.  (Several of these quilts might make an appearance in the latter.)  I'm looking forward to a busy, productive weekend - Sunday I'm taking a workshop through the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild with Marianne Haak - The Quilting Edge - on her fabulous quilt as you go method.  Should be fun!

Happy quilting!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Looks like you will be keeping busy for a while. LOve that boy quilt. Love the color combo.
I love the knotty quilting , it is perfect with the bird fabric.

Maggi said...

This lot certainly will keep you busy. The boy quilt is great, love the fabric and the colours.

Vicki Miller said...

Again, I love the kaleidoscopes. You are certainly keeping busy!