So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

VMQG Mini Quilt swap

we had our VMQG meeting last night and did our mini quilt swap - what a lot of wonderful quilts changed hands!  Wow!  I am always blown away by the creativity of everyone.

This was a secret swap - we knew who we were creating for, but not who was making for us.  I consider myself extremely luck to have been matched up with Terry Aske - Terry does such incredible work - just check out some of her work in her gallery and in her Etsy shop. She's a good friend and travelling buddy and I am thrilled that she made me this quilt!

This is the incredible piece I received
it's MINE!

 I am really loving teals and turqouise these days and Terry came through!  Isn't if fabulous? I love everything about it, including the sections of the quilting done in different colours - the white against the teal as shown below, and a darker turquoise on the lighter fabric, visible in the above photo on the right hand side.  PERFECT!!!!  Thank you Terry!
love the bit of white against the turquoise
What is really fun is that I got Terry's name to create for!  Terry's preferences were for asymmetrical, improv piecing, flying geese, black, white, chartreuse, and definitely no Sunbonnet Sue's!  (That was a good thing as I would have had a really hard time bringing myself to make something with that little girl on it!)  The other requests were right up my alley, so I put together this little quilt and then quilted the heck out of it!

VMQG mini swap
(sorry about the crappy picture - meant to take a better one before giving it away, but you know how that goes...)

progress2

progress1

back

For much better pictures of the front and the back, please go check out Terry's post!  She is not only a wonderful friend and quilter, she also knows how to take good pictures!

I think I still have a few more quilts in me using the long arm rulers - they are so much fun!
(I've also got to start working on my photography skills...)

Linking up to TN&TN this week.
http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.ca/2014/08/wip-wednsday-155-tn.html


Happy quilting!
Janet

14 comments:

Marlene said...

WOW Janet both minis are fantastic. I love the Zen quilting you did in the green thread, it looks great and really fits with the style of this quilt. Popping over to Terry's now for more viewing.

Lisa J. said...

Both of these quilts are amazing! How big are they?

Linda said...

Omg! Just fabulous! Love them both.

elle said...

A great trade!

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

You did an amazing job! That is a great looking quilt! Love Terry's quilt too!
Carol

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Lovely minis and a great idea for a swap! I'll have to suggest it to my MQG! I really love the pops of lime green with the black and white!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Fabulous mini's! Absolutely spectacular!

Dolores said...

They are both great pieces. Was there a size restriction?

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Janet, I love the quilt you made for me, and I'm so happy you like the one I made for you.

Regarding sizes - the sizes for the swap were minimum 50" perimeter maximum 100" perimeter.

Maggi said...

What a brilliant swap - you are both winners.

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

Wahoo! Somebody's been having fun with their rulers and quilting. Nice work and I love both pieces!

Karen Ackva said...

I love your quilt and how you quilted it. Very creative...the flow of the quilting makes the flying geese come alive!

Jo-Snow said...

Hi I am a VCR modern quilt guild member from the island!!!

Was looking at your mini quilt on Terri aske's site. Fabulous!!!! Can u tell me how u quilted it? I am just learning my long arm. Love your blog!!!!

What Comes Next? said...

Jo-Snow - you are a no reply blogger, so I'm responding to your question here. I quilted it on my home machine which is set into a table, and used long arm rulers. For video that shows thea same technique I used, and was my inspiration, check out Amy's site, http://freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.ca/2014/07/zen-free-motion-quilting.html